Use this form to complete a course evaluation for the College of Education. Students will receive an email from both Qualtrics and our course evaluation admin (Shayla S. Lee) when their course evaluation is available.
- Why is there a change in the system and process used to collect course evaluations?
- The College of Education has a college-wide system for collecting course evaluation data. In Spring 2021, we began using the Franklin College’s system for course evaluations. The system allows faculty to see their reports the day after grades are posted each term.
- Is there a requirement for conducting course evaluations?
- The university indicates that students should be given an opportunity to complete an end-of-term course evaluation.
- Who chooses what courses should be evaluated?
- Courses for which instructors have budgeted time assigned must be evaluated. Instructors can also ask for courses other than budgeted courses to be evaluated. Each semester, department heads are sent a roster of courses and asked to work with faculty to indicate which courses should be evaluated.
- What do I need to do to set up my course evaluation?
- Course evaluations will be set up for instructors by the Office of Academic Programs.
- What items are included on the course evaluation tool?
- The College of Education’s assessment is consistent with requirements for core questions from the university’s stated policy. The following questions are included on the evaluation:
- The course was effectively organized;
- Assignments and activities were clearly related to course goals;
- The instructor was knowledgeable and well-prepared;
- Assignments and activities were useful for helping me learn;
- New skills and/or concepts were presented in ways I could understand;
- The instructor was open to students’ questions and comments;
- The instructor provided useful feedback on student work;
- Course work was evaluated according to clear expectations; and
- The course challenged me to think and learn.
Students use a five-point scale to respond to each of these items. General open-ended questions are also posed and include: Please provide feedback on the (1) instruction in this class; (2) content of this class; and (3) format of this class.
- What is the window for course evaluations?
- Course evaluations will be made available for two weeks prior to the due date for grades. The only exception to this timeline is for Maymester courses, which operate on a condensed schedule. Maymester evaluations will be sent five days prior to the grades due date for that session.
- Is it possible to incentivize course evaluation completion?
- No, it is not possible to incentivize course evaluation completion. The university policy indicates that students must be given an opportunity to complete an end-of-term evaluation. Given that the policy does not mandate completion of an evaluation and that there is student choice in doing so, incentives such as points toward a course or assignment grade removes the voluntary nature of the evaluation. In the Franklin System, instructors can see the names of the students real-time who have completed the evaluation.
General reminders to students can increase response rate. Once the course evaluation is closed for the term, all identifying information on students is removed from the viewable information for the instructor’s specific course. A tally of the number of respondents is included in the summary, but individual student names regarding completion are removed.
Instructors can encourage a higher completion rate by providing students with verbal reminders to complete the evaluation, scheduling class time to complete the evaluation (without the instructor present), and by reiterating the importance of the evaluation to assist the instructor in modifying the class to better meet student needs in future semesters.
- How do I check who has or has not completed the evaluation?
- Instructors can see who has complete the evaluation real-time until the course evaluation window closes. The instructors can only see the names of the students who completed and not the individual data from each respondent tied to the respondent’s name. You can view the status of your evaluations by signing into the Instructor Course Evaluation Portal. Or copy and paste the link into your internet browser: https://webapps.franklin.uga.edu/evaluation/instructors/
- Can I add questions to the evaluation?
- No, with the move to the Franklin system, additional questions are no longer possible. Faculty are welcome to use other tools such as Qualtrics to solicit additional information from students.
- Which students will receive the evaluation?
- Students registered or auditing a course at the time that course evaluations are generated, which is approximately 4 weeks from the end of the semester (after the mid-term withdrawal date) will have the opportunity to evaluate the course. Students who have one of the following registration codes will not receive the evaluation or be counted in any totals: Drop Dismissal, Drop Non-Payment, Drop/Delete, Withdrawal by Student, or Waitlisted.
- How will students receive the evaluation?
- The Franklin system is a “self-serve” system, which means instructors will be responsible for notifying students regarding the availability of course evaluations (the evaluation window), sending reminders as needed, and downloading their own reports when available. The system does not automatically send notifications and reminders to students regarding course evaluations.
Shayla Lee will send an email to all course instructors each term to let them know course evaluations are accessible and will reiterate the information below for instructors to forward to their students.
To complete the evaluations, students should sign into the Franklin Course Evaluation system with their UGA MyID username and password. Or copy and paste the link into your internet browser: https://webapps.franklin.uga.edu/evaluation/
Additionally, you can send reminders to your students as needed. Here are the step-by-step instructions for sending reminders. Or copy and paste the link into your internet browser: https://kb.franklin.uga.edu/display/public/FOKFC/Send+E-mail+Reminders+to+Students
- How are reminders sent? How many reminders are sent?
- Instructors need to notify the students of the availability of the course evaluations. Instructors can monitor completion and send reminders to students. The evaluations also are completed easily on mobile devices.
- Can I re-open my evaluation?
- No. The only exception to this rule will be if a programming or other error is reported.
- Where do I get my results?
- Once grades are posted for each term, you can view the status of your evaluations by signing into the Instructor Course Evaluation Portal. Or copy and paste the link into your internet browser: https://webapps.franklin.uga.edu/evaluation/instructors/
- Are partial responses included in my results?
- The number of respondents is included for each item. If at least one response is provided on the evaluation, the data from that student will be included in the instructor’s data set. For example, sometimes students complete the closed-ended items but not the open-ended questions (or vice versa).
- Why are the overall mean and mean of the medians not included in the report?
- The Franklin System provides the mean and median for each of the Likert items. Because the items are individual items and because there is not a sound factor structure across all nine items, the mean and mean of the medians is not a psychometrically sound data point.
- What is the contribution of course evaluations to my performance assessment?
- The influence of course evaluations on any individual’s performance assessment varies by department. Please consult your unit’s annual review procedures or your promotion and tenure unit guidelines for specific details associated with the weight of course evaluations in such decisions. It is also important to note that course evaluations are a snapshot into students’ perceptions of one’s teaching. More robust measures of teaching performance, such as peer evaluation, are important to consider in making any substantive decisions about teaching performance.
- What are the windows for data collection?
- The specific windows for course evaluation will vary by the academic calendars. Windows will be released each academic year. Dates for Fall 2021, Spring 2022, and Summer 2022 are provided below.
- Release evaluations on December 7, 2021 and close on December 19, 2021
- PEDB Courses: PEDB 1140 [Weeks 6-7]; PEDB1900-1960 [Weeks 10-14]; PEDB Outdoor Courses [Weeks 9-12]; All other PEDB courses [December 7-December 19]
- Release evaluations on April 25, 2022 and due on May 15, 2022
- PEDB Courses: PEDB 1140 [Weeks 6-7]; PEDB1900-1960 [Weeks 10-14]; PEDB Outdoor Courses [Weeks 9-12]; All other PEDB courses [April 25-May 15]
- Maymester Release evaluations on June 2 and close on June 9
- Short Session I Release evaluations on July 1 and close on July 8
- Short Session II Release evaluations on July 29 and close on August 5
- Extended Session Release evaluations on July 29 and close on August 5
- Thru Session Release evaluations on July 29 and close on August 5